This is a great resource on adaptive programming and keeping your blind residents engaged:
Monthly Archives: June 2013
Looking for places to take your residents fishing? Here are a few links to some fishing farms! This is a GREAT Men’s Group Outing!
Willow Springs Trout Farm
153 Samak Country Ests, Kamas, UT 84036
Trout of Paradise
399 W 9000 S, Paradise, UT 84328
Mountain Valley Trout Farm
1471 W Highway 218, Smithfield, UT 84335
- Free fishing license for physical disability: blind, paraplegic, permanently confined to wheelchair, loss of lower extremities, permanently confined to crutches. Download application (PDF format)
- Free fishing license for mental disability — Utah code 23-19-35
- Discounted fishing license for veterans with disabilities: service-connected disability of 20 percent or more. Download application (PDF format)
This Certified Laughter Yoga Leader Training will:
• Give you a thorough understanding of Laughter Yoga
• Enable you to confidently talk about Laughter Yoga
• Show you how to never run out of exercise ideas
• Help you add more laughter into your life
• Help you understand the “Inner Spirit of Laughter”
• Show you how to release tension in a safe and positive way
• Inspire and empower you to start your own Laughter Club
• Teach you the skills and give you the confidence to teach Laughter Yoga classes, both with the general public and special needs groups
• Understand group dynamics and how to effectively manage group laughter with a variety of participants (children, seniors, business, etc.)
• Market your services
You will receive:
• Comprehensive E-Manual (PDF)
• Certified Laughter Yoga Leader certificate
• Free basic listing as Laughter Yoga Professional on Dr. Kataria’s website
• Free one year membership to Prozone (the Professional Laughter Yoga Organization)
How to register:
• $295 tuition is non-refundable/ non-transferable.
• Check: mail to 259 Kelsey Avenue, Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 (payable to Karen Bayard)
• PayPal: Please Note: A $5 fee added for payments made through Paypal. (Tuition will be $300)
- Log onto http://www.paypal.com (if you have one, log into your PayPal account)
- Click “BUY” (account users click on “Send Money“)
- Enter the email address you want to send money to email@example.com and the amount you want to send $300.
- Select “Purchase” or “Personal” then choose the reason for the payment (click on “Services” or type in “LaughterYoga”)
- Click “Continue”
- Review the amount, the payment method and shipping address.
- Add a message (optional), then click “Send Money.”
PayPal will send me an email letting me know that you’ve sent money. I will send you a confirmation of your registration*.
* Once your payment is processed you will receive another e-mail with your manual and details and additional details about the training. Registration for this training closes when class capacity is reached or at midnight on July 31st.
I hope you’ll choose to join us. I think we will have a wonderful time laughing & learning together.
With Gobs of Giggles,
Karen Michelle Bayard
ATTENTION: ACTIVITY DIRECTORS
TRY THESE SAMPLE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS BY MEMORYSTREETS
WITH YOUR SENIORS. GUARANTEED IMMEDIATE PARTICIPATION AND
SMILES. ( WARNING: ONCE YOU START, THEY WON’T WANT TO STOP.)
>AGE-APPROPRIATE FOR THE SENIOR GENERATION > INTERACTIVE > FUN
>STIMULATING > EASY TO USE FORMAT > HELPS BUILD SELF- ESTEEM
>FOR GROUPS LARGE AND SMALL > ENJOYED BY ALL COGNITIVE LEVELS
*** ADDITIONAL SAMPLE PAGE AVAILABLE AT www.memorystreets.com
FINISH THE SONG
I SAW YOU LAST NIGHT AND GOT THAT________________________( OLD FEELING )
IF I KNEW YOU WERE COMING, I’D HAVE_______________________( BAKED A CAKE )
YOU MUST HAVE BEEN A BEAUTIFUL_________________________( BABY )
CAMPTOWN LADIES SING THIS SONG_________________________( DOO-DA, DOO-DA )
YOU MADE ME LOVE YOU___________________________________( I DIDN’T WANT TO DO IT )
HOW THE HECK CAN I WASH MY NECK IF IT AIN’T GONNA_________( RAIN NO MORE)
YES! WE HAVE NO_________________________________________( BANANAS )
I WANT A GIRL, JUST LIKE THE GIRL___________________________( THAT MARRIED DEAR OLD DAD )
EVERY TIME IT RAINS, IT RAINS_______________________________( PENNIES FROM HEAVEN)
KISS ME ONCE AND KISS ME TWICE AND KISS ME ONCE AGAIN____( IT’S BEEN A LONG, LONG TIME )
DOWN BY THE OLD MILL STREAM WHERE I___________________( FIRST MET YOU )
I’M JUST WILD ABOUT HARRY AND__________________________( HARRY’S WILD ABOUT ME )
FINISH THE PHRASE
DON’T CRY OVER_____________________________________( SPILT MILK)
WHEN I WAS SINGLE, MY POCKETS WOULD_______________( JINGLE )
GOOD NIGHT, SLEEP TIGHT, DON’T LET THE_______________( BEDBUGS BITE )
YOU CAN LEAD A HORSE TO WATER, BUT________________( YOU CAN’T MAKE HIM DRINK )
LET HIM SPEAK NOW OR FOREVER_____________________( HOLD HIS PEACE )
I SEE LONDON, I SEE FRANCE, I SEE SUZIE’S_____________( UNDERPANTS )
WHAT IS A STUDEBAKER?__________________________________ ( A CAR )
WHO IS PICTURED ON A PENNY?_____________________________( ABRAHAM LINCOLN )
WHO SANG INKA, DINKA DOO?_______________________________( JIMMY DURANTE)
WHAT FESTIVE DANCE IS SEEN DURING OCTOBERFEST?________( THE POLKA )
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THE OLD SAYING “23 SKIDOO”?______( TO LEAVE QUICKLY )
WHAT TWO ANIMALS MAKE A MULE?_______________________( A DONKEY AND A HORSE )
WHAT IS THE MEANING OF “THE OLD SOFT SHOE”? ___________( TAP DANCING )
WHAT DOES ( P.O.W.) STAND FOR?_________________________( PRISONER OF WAR )
WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE PATRIOTIC MAN WEARING RED, WHITE AND BLUE
WHO POINTED AND SAID “I WANT YOU!”?__________________________( UNCLE SAM )
ALWAYS PROMISING A “REALLY BIG SHOW” WAS VARIETY SHOW HOST, ED____( SULLIVAN )
DO UNTO OTHERS, AS YOU WOULD HAVE OTHERS DO UNTO YOU IS CALLED
“THE GOLDEN___________________________________________”( RULE )
WHO WAS THE GIRL “AS SWEET AS APPLE CIDER”?_____________( IDA )
WHAT BRANCH OF THE MILITARY DO YOU THINK OF WHEN YOU HEAR
“ANCHORS AWEIGH, MY BOYS”?_____________________________( THE NAVY )
IF YOUR NICKNAME IS “HANK” WHAT IS YOUR FORMAL NAME LIKELY TO BE?____( HENRY )
THE TRADITIONAL SONG HEARD WHEN THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED
STATES ARRIVES IS… “HAIL TO THE _________________________________”( CHIEF )
WHEN SOMETHING REALLY BIG HAPPENED, NEWSBOYS WOULD SHOUT
“EXTRA!.. EXTRA!… READ ALL______________________________” ( ABOUT IT )
WHAT DOES “CASH ON THE BARREL” MEAN?_______________( IMMEDIATE PAYMENT / NO CREDIT )
WHERE IS HACKENSACK?______________________________( NEW JERSEY )
WHERE IS KALAMAZOO?_______________________________( MICHIGAN )
IF YOU GO TO THE THEATER AND ARE SEATED IN “THE PEANUT GALLERY”
WHERE ARE YOU SITTING?_________________________( THE CHEAP SEATS / WAY IN THE BACK )
ACCORDING TO YOUR MOTHER, WHAT ARE YOU NOT SUPPOSED TO
PUT ON THE TABLE WHEN DINING?_____________( YOUR ELBOWS )
WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN SOMEONE SAYS “I HAVE TO SEE A MAN
ABOUT A HORSE.”?________________( I HAVE TO USE THE BATHROOM )
MOST WOMAN WILL SAY THEY WANT A MAN WHO IS TALL, DARK
AND____________( HANDSOME )
WHAT DO THESE HAVE IN COMMON
RABBITS FOOT, FOUR LEAF CLOVER, HORSE SHOES________( GOOD LUCK CHARMS )
WIND MILLS, WOODEN SHOES, TULIPS_____________________( THINGS IN HOLLAND )
WOOLWORTH’S, S.S. KRESGE’S, MC CRORY’S______________( FIVE AND DIME STORES)
LIMBURGER CHEESE, ROTTEN EGGS, SKUNKS_____________( FOUL SMELLING / STINKY )
THE LOO, THE LAVATORY, THE LATRINE, THE JOHN__________( OTHER NAMES FOR THE BATHROOM )
TIGHTWADS, SKINFLINTS, PENNY-PINCHERS DON’T LIKE TO PART WITH________( MONEY )
IS YOUR AUDIENCE ASKING FOR MORE? VISIT OUR WEBSITE www.memorystreets.com
CONTACT US AT: GRAB A GLOVE INC. 8211 CLEAVES RD. N. FT. MYERS, FL. 33903
EACH BOOK CONTAINS OVER 550 QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS AND HOURS OF FUN.
ONE BOOK $11.95….BUY ALL SIX BOOKS AND SAVE BIG!! ($8.75 PER BOOK & S+H )
Last week we had a FUN workshop with some of the greatest Recreation Therapists from Rocky Mountain Care Center. Here is some follow up items from this workshop which I thought everyone could use:
- Aliha from Molina came to speak with us regarding Senior Wellness. Adam is my contact person at Molina, his number is 80-542-7913. You can schedule with him some great presentations with your seniors regarding wellness programs. If you have a specific topic then let him know other wise he has some neat presentations. He and his staff are awesome about getting seniors involved.
- Here is the link for the 55 Plus Senior Resource Directory: http://www.55plusbook.slco.org/
- Micki Sannar does webinar training with doTERRA CPTG Essential Oils. Just email her letting her know you are interested in the webinar training’s firstname.lastname@example.org
Here is the link to the protocols we talked about http://www.trconnections.com/Intervention-Protocols.html
This is a good format to use when writing protocols:
- If you would like to share a proctol, please submit it to either myself or Kristina and we will post it. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- I am trying to get a hold of someone from URTA to get more info on the Summer Olympiatrics
- https://twitter.com/TRconnections we are also on Twitter! Be patient with me as I learn how to post and use twitter!
Remember to look on this blog or on our Face Book page and Twitter for more fun ideas, discussions and upcoming events!
Are you often asked by your fellow co-workers what Recreation Therapy is? And then after explaining they still give you a puzzled look? Here is a brief explanation you can share with them.
According to the American Therapeutic Recreation Association (ATRA), Recreational Therapy means a treatment service designed to restore, remediate and rehabilitate a person’s level of functioning and independence in life activities, to promote health and wellness as well as reduce or eliminate the activity limitations and restrictions to participation in life situations caused by an illness or disabling condition.
Recreational Therapists work with clients to restore motor, social and cognitive functioning, build confidence, develop coping skills, and integrate skills learned in treatment settings into community settings. Intervention areas vary widely and are based upon client interests. Examples of intervention modalities include creative arts (e.g., crafts, music, dance, drama, among others), sports, adventure programming, dance/movement, and leisure education
Recreational Therapists help people who are injured to get active again. They use sports, games, arts, crafts, and music to help patients build confidence and get back into life. Diversion activities are conducted by individuals who focus on games and pastimes for fun.
Recreational Therapists find out what patients need. They do this by looking at medical records and talking to other staff. They also listen to the patients and their families. They then make up a program to help the person. For instance, they might help a right-handed girl who can’t use her right arm any more to throw a ball with her left arm.
Let’s look at bowling; while one may look at this activity as just a fun outing for our clients, as Recreational Therapists we incorporate the needs of the client through their care plan. With bowling a Recreational Therapist can assist a client who may have balance issue regain strength. Bowling incorporates social skills, leisure education, cognitive functioning and self esteem.