Here are some calender ideas for August. August does not have any holidays! What are you planning for your clients!
This is the month we celebrate…
- American Adventures Mont
- Audio Book Appreciation Month – Audio books are one of the fastest-growing areas of the publishing industry. Many books are now available to download—some for free. Simply type the book’s title and “audio book” into your favorite search engine.
- Bargain Lovers Month – Celebrate Bargain Hunting Week Aug 5-11. Garage Sale Day Aug 5, Thrift Shop Day Aug 17, and Secondhand Wardrobe Day Aug 25 this month.
- Beat the Heat Month – Although the Dog Days end Aug 11, it’s still hot. Keep your cool this month by celebrating Fan Friday Aug 16.
- Clown Month (International) – We also celebrate International Clown Week (Aug. 1–7), Clowning Around Day Aug 1, and Lucille Ball’s birthday Aug 6 this month.
- Fair Days Month – August is the month for state fairs. More state fairs are held in August than in any other month of the year. Find a fair near you. Plan “A Fair to Remember” this month, complete with cotton candy, elephant ears, and carousel music.
- Family Fun Month – Plan a “Family Fun Day.” Play Family Feud.
- Geology and Gemstone Month – We also celebrate Wear Your Birthstone Day Aug 3, Carat Day Aug 7, “Rock Around the Clock” Day Aug 20, and A Gem of a Day Aug 30 this month. Play a game of “rock, paper, scissors,” make your own pet rocks purchase a tabletop Zen garden and paint a rock paperweight.
- Home Business Month – Invite someone in your area who has a home business to speak this month. If you could start a home business, what would it be?
- Parks Month – Visit your local park and celebrate Paint a Picture in the Park Day this month.
- Pastimes of Colonial Virginia Month – A month to discover the music, games, storytelling, and other past times of 17th- and 18th-century Virginia.
- Sunflower Month – Plant sunflowers in your garden or do a sunflower craft. pinterest.com/pkprncs2/sunflower–craft-ideas
- Win with Civility Month – Ask everyone to be civil to one another this month. (We know they always are, but this is a good excuse to emphasize being kind and courteous.)
Music, Games, Hobbies, Arts & Crafts
- American Artist Appreciation Month – We also celebrate American Artists’ Day on Andy Warhol’s birthday Aug 6 this month.
- Kitchen Crafts Month – A gift from the kitchen can be a great way to say “thank you.” Make gifts in a jar or a bag. http://www.mixesinajar.com/
- Golf Month – The PGA Championship (Aug. 5–11) and the USGA Championship (Aug. 12–18) are held this month. We also celebrate Ben Hogan’s birthday (Aug. 13) and Puttering Around Day (Aug. 23).
- Horseshoe Pitching Month
- Merry-Go-Round Music Month – Also known as carousel or calliope music. Play some carousel music and watch the 1956 movie Carousel this month.
- Model Sailboat Month
- Popsicle Stick Crafts Month – .www.babble.com/crafts-activities/20-amazing-popsicle–stick–crafts
- Rock Collectors Month – See if anyone has a collection they would like to share. Adopt some Pet Rocks.
- Sing a Round Month – You have heard of “sing-along,” but what about “sing a round” www.mtrs.co.uk/subscriptions/Downloads/support/vocal_activities.pdf
- TP Roll Crafts Month – We also celebrate Toilet Paper Day (Aug. 26) this month.
Clothes & Fashions
- Flip-Flops Month – Plan a “Flip-Flop Friday.” Decorate Flip-Flops with visiting children.
- Sunglasses Month – Have everyone get out their sunglasses and have a “Shady Fashion Show.” Go on an outing to check out this year’s selection of sunglasses. See if you can find some huge, funny ones. Take pictures and post them on your bulletin board, if possible.
- Canning Month – Of course you “can” reminisce about canning foods from the garden. Also, learn about canning and the history of home canning this month.
Catfish Month – “Catch of the Day” Day (Aug. 9)
- Corn Dog and Cotton Candy Month – Serve corn dogs and cotton candy this month.
- Eat Dessert First Month – “Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.” ~ Ernestine Ulmer.
- Family Meal Month – Dedicated to bringing dinner back to the table. Families are encouraged to eat dinner together.
Goat Cheese Month – Celebrate Goat Cheese Month by learning more about the health benefits of goat cheese.
- Kool-Aid Month – We also celebrate Kool-Aid Days (Aug. 9–11) this month.
- Lemon Month – It is also Lemonade’s Birthday (Aug. 20), Lemonade Lucy Day (Aug. 28), and Lemon Juice Day (Aug. 29) this month.
- Macadamia Nut Month – Hawaii’s commercial plantations, first planted in 1921, remain the principle producers of macadamia nuts. Since August is the month Hawaii was admitted to the union (Aug. 21),
- Melon Month – Watermelon Day (Aug. 3) and Melon Monday (Aug. 19) for more.
- Mustard Month – We also celebrate Cutting the Mustard Day (Aug. 3) this month.
- Panini Month – the panini is a sandwich typically served hot or grilled with ciabatta bread. You can get very creative with ingredients while making paninis.
- Pineapple Month – Make a pineapple upside down cake.
- Popsicle Month – Make your own popsicles this month.
- Trail Mix Month – Celebrate GORP Day (Aug. 14) and Trail Mix Day (Aug. 31) this month.
People / Professional Pride
- Friends Forever Month – We also celebrate Girlfriend’s Day (Aug. 1) and International Friendship Day (Aug. 4) this month. FYI: International Friendship Month is celebrated in February.
- Health Unit Coordinators Month – Health Unit Coordinators Day (Aug. 23)
Focus on Health & Wellness
- Cataract Awareness Month – Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness in the world
- Foot Health Month – Celebrate Wiggle Your Toes Day (Aug. 6) and schedule pedicures and toenail paintings this month. Put your “best foot forward” and ask a podiatrist to talk about taking care of your feet.
Happiness Happens Month – We also celebrate Happiness Happens Day (Aug. 8) this month.
- Immunization Awareness Month – The goal is to increase awareness about immunizations across the life span, from infants to the elderly. Don’t forget your flu shot.
- Medical Alert Awareness Month – Are your residents protected with medical alerts?
- Relaxation Month and Napping Month – We also celebrate Pamper Yourself Day (Aug. 5), Spa Day (Aug. 11), and National Relaxation Day (Aug. 15) this month.
- Simplify Your Life Month and Week (first week in Aug) – Encourage people to simplify their lives, reduce the clutter, and streamline. Discuss ways to do it—such as getting rid of the things you don’t need or buying socks that are all the same color so you don’t have to sort for the mates. Remind everyone that many people become happier or more content when they simplify their lives.